Inspiring Future STEM Leaders with The Girl Scouts and IF/THEN
The Virtual Wild was engaged by The Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas (GSNETX) to build a gamified educational tool that captivates and educates girl scouts, ages 6 to 16. The indoor touch-activated, table-based experience allows scouts to explore STEM careers and the steps it will take to reach their goals and earn the STEM-related career field they seek. The “IF/THEN® Ambassador STEM Experience” leverages the content of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) IF/THEN® Ambassadors and features the Girl Scout program’s Ambassadors and Remi, a CG animated character.
We Created an Inspiring Interactive Table Experience…
This project inspires learning and future career opportunities through play via a touchscreen table-top and a wall-mounted viewing screen with information on IF/THEN® Ambassadors. Girls can pick up a 3D printed statue of an Ambassador and place it on the table to learn more about each Ambassador. The table and TV show an overview of each Ambassador’s career and the badges they would have earned if they were a Girl Scout. Girls who engage in the IF/THEN® Ambassador STEM Experience can also earn the IF/THEN® STEM Career Exploration badge.
Inspiring Career Goals through emerging technology…
This project provides girl scouts with an adventurous, playful, and educational digital scouting experience in support of the Girl Scout mission to “change the workforce pipeline in STEM to meet the urgent need for female voices, engagement, and leadership in the fastest-growing sector of the U.S. economy.”
The experience inspires girls to imagine themselves as scientists, wildlife ecologists, galactic explorers, game designers and much more through introductions from 10 featured If/Then Ambassadors:
- Heather Chandler: Game Development Consultant
- Anamita Guha: Product Manager, Artificial Intelligence – META/Facebook
- Tiffany Kelly: Sports Data Scientist, CEO and Founder – Curastory
- Beata Mierzwa: Molecular Biologist/Artist – Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, UC San Diego
- Burcin Mutlu-Pakdil: Astrophysicist, Postdoctoral Researcher – Steward Observatory
- Debbie Sterling: Mechanical Engineer and Founder/CEO – Goldieblox
- Jennifer Stimpson: Scientist & Chemist – Hockaday School
- Kim Swennen: Senior Software Engineer – Google Arts and Culture, Actress
- Kirsten Tulchin-Francis: Biochemist and Bioengineer – Nationwide Children’s Hospital
- Rae Wynn-Grant: Large Carnivore Ecologist – National Geographic Society Fellow
The Virtual Wild is excited to continue to employ cutting edge technology to enhance the Girl Scout mission and provide girls with exciting adventures.The IF/THEN® Ambassador STEM Experience, is the second project in a five-year strategic partnership between Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas and The Virtual Wild to expand digital immersive experiences that enhance learning while complementing outdoor adventures. Check out our first project with Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas – the six-time award winning GeoQuest AR Trail App. And stay tuned as we expand our immersive learning experiences and adventures with GSNETX!
Learn more about the IF/THEN COLLECTION
Check out coverage of the IF/THEN Ambassador STEM Experience in People Newspapers